Enjoy a good drama? How about a detective story? Well if either of these sounds good I got a modern film-noir movie for you. For those of you who aren’t very familiar with film-noir here is wiki’s very brief definition.
Some of my favorite noir films, while being more modern than original film-noir, are Taxi Driver(1976), China Town(1974), Fight Club(1999), and of course this movie… but I digress. Brick takes place in southern California focused around a high school loner, Brendan, who is trying to get to the bottom of the disappearance of his ex-girl Emily. As he follows a trail of clues Brendan finds himself plummeting into an underworld of high school socialites, violence, and suburban drug czars. I won’t go into the film’s plot any further but I will go into the noir style of Brick.
When you look at the setting of the film, southern California, you see the definition of American suburbia, but looks can be very deceiving. The film’s very engaging dialogue, motifs and filming technique transform the backyard pool filled neighborhoods and clean campus high school into a dreary, dark city in which crime and drugs litter the streets. Another great thing about Brick is its “re-watch-ability” and the discussion that comes from all the plots twists and character analysis. But the truth is I can rave on and on about the film, but I’ll never do it justice; so I’ll just leave you with the trailer.
No comments:
Post a Comment